Monday, April 19, 2010

Farmer's Market: Asparagus

This past Thursday the Siloam Springs Farmer's Market reopened for the 2010 season.  I headed downtown in search of some spring goodness.

I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of produce available at the market this early in the year.  I went home with asparagus, Egyptian onions, bok choy, and a basil plant.  We had the asparagus for dinner later that night.

I preheated my oven to 425 degrees, washed and snapped the asparagus ends, drizzled them with some olive oil, sprinkled on some salt and pepper, and roasted the spears for about 25 minutes.
And then I ate the better half of my bunch all by myself!
YUM!

Please support our local farmers and head down to the market first thing tomorrow morning (this past Thursday the fresh flowers were gone by the time I arrived).

Siloam Springs Farmer's Market
Located downtown in the parking lot and park near the Community Building
at the corner of Mt. Olive and University Streets
Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8am-1pm

Check back here for the upcoming official opening day details. 

Enjoy eating your local produce!
--Karyn

No comments:

Post a Comment