Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rotarians from Thailand visit Siloam Springs

Here is yet another example of why downtown Siloam Springs is such a unique and interesting place: I was having lunch at the Cafe on Broadway, enjoying delicious Moroccan chicken, when I noticed a large group of people walking by. They seemed to be visitors, because they were taking photos and commenting on points of interest.

Unable to contain my curiosity, I stepped outside to find out more. I met Richard Hudson, a Rotarian from Fayetteville, and he explained that the group consisted of Rotarians from Fayetteville, and their guests from a Rotary club in Chiang Mai, Thailand. These Rotary members were participating in a Friendship Exchange, with the Fayetteville Rotarians having recently visited Thailand, and now hosting the Chaing Mai Rotarians.

The visitors are in Arkansas for the week, and they had been to Branson the previous day. The group had chosen a gorgeous day for visiting Siloam, to stroll downtown and take in the sights. They kindly agreed to a photo shoot in front of Siloam's iconic gazebo, and at one point, one of our friendly ducks joined in the fun.
I had the pleasure of meeting the current Chiang Mai Rotary Club President, Siriluck Chaiyawong. She was very friendly and said that they were all having a wonderful time. This was her first visit to Arkansas. I am so glad that I was able to meet these unique visitors. Downtown Siloam Springs is always full of fun surprises!

2 comments:

  1. Hi -- Just came across your blog. My husband and I recently moved from Kansas City to NWA and are making our way to live in Siloam Springs in the next couple months. Thank you for taking the time to create this blog. You're funny *and* informative!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carolyn! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kind comment. Welcome in advance to you and your husband. I hope that you both enjoy making Siloam Springs home.

    ReplyDelete