Friday, April 3, 2009

The Cafe on Broadway


I was in the mood to catch up with some friends, and my favorite spot on Main Street to relax, chat, and enjoy marvelous food is the Cafe on Broadway. Let's just say that if you haven't experienced it yet, stop everything, right now, and get yourself down there. I'll wait.....

You're back! Wasn't it great?

It's just the kind of classic small town cafe that is often romanticized in movies. There are lots of "regulars", who sometimes say, "I'll have the usual," and the staff knows what that means. I am fighting the urge to go on and on about it, but I'll make sure to devote a separate post just to the cafe itself.

So anyway, there I was, strolling down University Street on a gorgeous Friday morning, on my way to the cafe. I get a little giddy about cafe visits, I must say. It's just that to me, the cafe is the heart of historic downtown Siloam Springs. It's always bustling, you're sure to see people you know, and of course, the food is amazing. (My personal favorites: the cran-walnut salad, the monte cristo panini, and the divine lemon-blueberry scones.)

The former mayor, "Moose" Van Pouke and his regular coffee group were just leaving when I arrived, so I availed myself of the quiet back room they had just vacated. I did indeed see several people I knew on the way through, and I stopped to chat. When my friends arrived, we compared our orders: a chocolate chocolate chip muffin, a slice of turtle pie, and my apricot oat square, and we decided that the winning item was the turtle pie. It was incredible, made right on the premises by expert baker Shelby. I was pretty happy with my apricot oat square (also made by Shelby) and cherry mocha, however. You really can't go wrong!

We whiled away a blissful morning enjoying our snacks, sharing stories, and keeping our toddlers entertained. Topics of conversation ranged from must-read books, to sibling rivalry, to house paint. One member of the group had brought a handmade item she is going to be selling at the cafe- reusable cloth coffee collars. They are amazing! She made them from a variety of different colorful fabrics, and they sell for $5. I heard later in the day that all twelve sold out, so I am hoping that she'll make more. It's a fun way to be stylish and eco-friendly at the same time.

After the visit, I strolled for a few blocks down Broadway. I saw Amanda Orcutt, owner of the new shop Amandromeda, which I am looking forward to visiting soon. Kelly from the Balloon Closet was also out and about. The Baby Habit, in its new location, looks great, and I can't wait to take a closer look.

All in all, it was a lovely morning. The kind that warms my heart and makes me so glad to be living in Siloam Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment